Tuesday 2 March 2010

Next stop New Zealand


I didn't want to come here. I've nothing against New Zealand. I've visited before and liked it. I've heard great things about it. I've got good Kiwi friends. Still, I didn't want to come here.

Coming to New Zealand meant leaving Australia and, as I've mentioned once or twice before, I rather like it there. It's felt like home to me over the past few months. However, I boarded the plane from Sydney to Auckland reluctantly and here I am in the North Island of New Zealand.

Time to eat my words! I've actually really enjoyed my travels here. Everyone told me it would be cold. I had jumpers sent over from the UK in preparation. It's been hot and sunny here every day of my trip. The sun actually feels more intense than in Sydney. That'll be a lack of ozone for you. Still, it makes me happy!

I've been travelling around on the Magic Bus which has been a great way to meet people and see a lot of the country in your own time as you can hop on and off as you please. I'm only here for 10 days, so my pace is pretty fast.

I've been to Auckland, Thames, Rotorua, Waitomo, Taupo, Napier, Tauranga, Mount Mounganui (wasn't he in Karate Kid?), Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga, and we've stopped at various waterfalls, lakes, Lord of the Rings icons and random sights along the way. It really is a beautiful country with green, rolling hills, stunning natural landscapes, loads of sheep, cows and not many people. Maybe that's because all the Kiwis are in London...

Nearly all the people I've met have been British though. Mix in a smattering of Canadians, Irish, Aussies and Germans and you have a typical bus crew. Us Brits had a fun time trying to teach the Kiwi bus driver how to speak 'properly'. He seemed to get his vowels confused! I tried to explain that "Puppa [that's me], try some Noo Zillund fush and chups" just isn't right. Funnily enough, I got some choice Kiwi words in response.

It's been fun, but I have to wave goodbye to the land of the long white cloud and return to Sydney to see what will happen next on my journey. Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment