Wednesday 24 March 2010

Craving beauty treats


My money's getting tighter now (extending my stay would do that I suppose) so I'm having to make compromises. I looked in my wash bag the other day and suddenly had a hankering for my old life. I'm just about hanging on to my Estee Lauder Eight Hour Face Moisturiser but its days are numbered. Nestling next to it is a no-brand body cream, travel size shampoo and conditioner swiped from my last stay in a decent hotel and a razor that really couldn't be considered a threat if I took it on a plane in my hand luggage.

I remember the days when I chose from a veritable array of creams, lotions, serums, oils, fragrances and scrubs. I could match my beauty regime to my mood. My bathroom cabinet and drawers groaned with the weight of all my products promising to make my skin and hair look and feel so much better. What a difference a few months makes.

Back in South East Asia, I could treat myself to the occasional pampering session. When a pedicure costs a mere couple of dollars why wouldn't you? The other day somebody likened my feet to a hobbit's (you know who you are!). I thought my ingenious use of sand as an exfoliator coupled with a slick of red nail polish to distract attention was a pretty good solution. Apparently not - I need to send in the DIY SOS team.

Much as I complained about my waxing experience in Vietnam, I'd head back there like a shot. Now I use a rusting razor and some hair removal cream that was on special in Priceline. How the mighty have fallen!

I remember when my hair was sleek, shiny and straightened. Now it dries au naturel and I do by best with a few kirby grips and my new line in hairbands.

Would I change it? Of course I would! I'd love to be pampered within an inch of my life and to smother myself in luxurious body creams on a daily basis. But if adopting a low maintenance lifestyle for a while means that I can stay in Australia for longer, I'll make the sacrifice. Pass me the Aldi body lotion...

No comments:

Post a Comment