Monday 22 March 2010

Rediscovering Melbourne


I'm so pleased that I came back here. I visited Melbourne in January but left feeling slightly cheated. Whilst I'd really enjoyed exploring St Kilda with its beaches, cafes, funky shops and arty creations, I gave the city short shrift. I spent less than a day in the city and so I only scratched the surface of this cracking place.

This time, I felt that I got to know it so much better. So much of Melbourne life happens behind the scenes. You have to look beyond the main streets and enter the lanes and passageways which weave between the glittering shopping malls and office blocks. With the narrow streets and pavement cafes buzzing with people sipping cappucinos, it felt more like Italy than Australia. I loved pottering around the hidden gems of the city and deciding whether to tuck into European, Asian or typically Aussie tucker.

There was lots happening whilst I was there too. I managed to catch a catwalk show which was part of the L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Week. It seemed weird seeing models showing off winter clothes whilst the sun was beating down on them. It was also the Melbourne Food and Wine festival (I suspect the fash pack didn't make it to this one though). I missed out on Jamie Oliver's event (slightly out of my backpacker budget) but I did sample some tasty delicacies, learn more about local food and admire the edible garden.

In true Pip fashion, I managed to fit in a winery tour. My day in the Yarra Valley was just great. I learnt more about the cool climate grape varieties that do best in that region and I found some new varieties that I hadn't tried before too. It was a lovely day - glorious sunshine, great scenery, tasty food and lots of good wine. The day ended at Domaine Chandon with a glass of bubbly. Now that's my kind of tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment