Wednesday 17 February 2010

Quick trip to Queensland

One luxury of being on a long trip like this is the freedom to be flexible with time. So when my good friend Michelle invited me to stay with her near Brisbane, I said 'yes' even though I hadn't planned to travel up the east coast.

I've visited Michelle a couple of times before but she has a new house now. A new house in the country that is. A new house in the country with five acres of land. A new house with two cows on her acres of land (they keep the grass short apparently). It's a far cry from her flat in Harlesden I can tell you!

I had a rather lovely relaxing week. It was around 35 degrees and 75% humidity when I got there. I haven't been that hot and sweaty since Cambodia. But then the rain came.

Unfortunately the rain came just as we took a girly trip to the coast - Byron Bay. Just my British luck! While the locals celebrated the first rain they'd had in months, I felt reminiscent of wet childhood holidays in Devon. Instead of surfing, we shopped. Instead of lying on the beach, we ate and drank. Instead of going on a hike, I had a massage... Ok, it wasn't all bad. It was actually rather lovely.

It's about seizing the moment and being flexible enough to do what works at the time. It's just part of the learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment