Thursday 11 March 2010

My New Zealand food trail


I've mentioned before how I've enjoyed learning about local food and wine on my travels. New Zealand was no different. I was only there a short time but I still managed to tuck in! My highlight meal was a delicious plate of green-lipped mussels. They were huge, succulent and smothered in a creamy Thai sauce (oh so authentically Kiwi!)

I didn't just sample the local delicacies though. I actually got my hands dirty and did a cookery course. I didn't learn how to prepare Maori hangi, barbeque or even Kiwi 'fush n chups'. My cookery course was how to prepare sushi and tempura.

Sushi may seem an odd choice of cookery class to study in Auckland. There are a few reasons behind it though. New Zealand was the first place that I ever ate sushi - about 12 years ago in Nelson. It was the kick of the wasabi that burnt the memory into my brain. Also, there is a big Japanese community in Auckland with lots of chances to sample the cuisine. Sushi has become my staple healthy, fast food option in Australia and New Zealand too, so the cookery class seemed rather apt for me.

The Japanese chef showed us how to make nori rolls, uramaki and tamago omelette, how to prepare the sushi rice and then how to create crispy tempura. He made it all look so easy. Believe me, it's not! From washing the rice 20 times to rolling the tightly-packed sushi into a perfect round roll, it is fraught with disaster! I was so pleased to fudge my way through it and produce a pretty attractive, delicate plate of food.

The secret? Clingfilm! It keeps everything packed tightly together when you roll it up. Now I'm not sure that's the age-old traditional Japanese method, but it worked for me. I don't think the sushi vendor need worry about his business just yet though. It's not such a fast food option when you make it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment