Tuesday 10 November 2009

Vietnam: the final phase

So I've had a busy week or so in Hanoi. I went to Halong Bay for a 3 day boat trip which was great - definitely a highlight of my Vietnam trip. Halong Bay is just beautiful, if a little overcrowded with tourist boats. It's a shame that they've not embraced the 'green thing' over here yet, as this stunning place is getting full of litter. Despite that, sailing around the islands with gorgeous sunshine and clear blue skies overhead was a joy.

We had a day and a bit on a junk (surrounded by junk - ha ha!) and then we went to Cat Ba island. I managed to trek, scramble and climb my way to the peak in my Haviana flip flops. Not a feat to be recommended, but my tour guide assured me that it would be fine as he did it regularly. It was at about the halfway point that I twigged that he climbs like a mountain goat and I certainly don't! I managed it though and bumped into a woman who lives 5 minutes away from me at home. Small world eh?

Day 2 ended on Monkey Island where we had a private beach and I had my own little beach bungalow. Bliss! The evening kicked off with a 'floating bar' and happy hour. This involved us getting in lifebuoys, running into the sea to get a plastic mug of 'Monkey Island magic' from a mad Vietnamese guy in a polystyrene dinghy. The start to a very amusing evening with a great gang of people.

After Halong Bay, I took the night train to Sapa in north Vietnam. It's a mountainous area with many hill tribes. More trekking (in proper shoes this time) and exploring the stunning countryside. It looked rather like Switzerland so it was appropriate that I was adopted by an Austrian couple aged about 60. They were so sweet, but they did badger me constantly to apply suncream, drink water, eat more dinner, accompany them for an evening stroll, blah blah blah. I felt like a teenager on holiday with parents!

I'm back in Hanoi now and I've got two days to go before I fly off to Hong Kong to stay with my cousin Charlotte. I cannot tell you how excited I am about seeing her. I am longing to see a familiar face and relax on her sofa with some trashy mags and TV. Oh, and a cup of proper tea with proper milk (rather than the condensed milk that they use out here) would go down a treat. Simple pleasures eh?

Pip x

No comments:

Post a Comment