Wednesday 2 December 2009

G'day Western Australia

21st November: Perth, WA
Two days ago I waved a sad farewell to my cousin in Hong Kong, took a taxi, train, plane, bus and another train and arrived at Fremantle station to be greeted by my good friend Emma. We'll be travelling together in Oz which will be great - no more flying solo for a while.

I've been to Oz a few times before, but always to the east coast. Now's the time to discover if west really is best, as many have told me.

The first thing that strikes me in Oz is the vast size of it. It shouldn't surprise me, but it does. The roads seem wide. Shops, units and buildings seem so big. There are so many parks and open spaces. It makes me realise how cramped it is at home and in so many other parts of the world.

Then there's the Aussie friendliness. I exited Perth airport with my backpack, clearly looking vaguely lost. Within seconds, an incredibly helpful woman helped me find my best route to Freo (Fremantle - a suburb just south of Perth). She made it all so easy with her warmth and kindness. It was such a contrast to previous airport greetings in Asia where there's a frenzied descent of taxi drivers and touts vying for your trade, and in many cases, the opportunity to scam a naive tourist.

The other big surprise for me here is the high prices. With the current exchange rate, costs are about the same as the UK. After travelling in SE Asia, that hurts! I was able to live well for so little in Vietnam and Cambodia that I've got used to eating out. Price tags are irrelevant there as haggling is a national sport. That's not going to work here. I'm going to have to embrace the backpacker spirit, sleep in dormitory bunk beds and cook my instant noodles in the hostel's communal kitchen. Eek!

Fortunately, the sun is shining, the sky is blue and that costs nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment