Wednesday 6 January 2010

Life in Sydney


Life here in Sydney has been yet another totally different travelling experience. Unlike the challenges in Cambodia and Vietnam, it's just 'too easy'. It makes such a refreshing change!

A huge reason for this is down to my fab friends.
- I'm travelling/ living with Emma. It's just great to have a good mate to share the experience with.
- Mon has lent us her flat to mind while she's overseas. It's a fantastic pad in Rose Bay. It's a gorgeous location, just a 15 min ferry ride to the city passing the iconic landmarks, the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. It's a lovely commute.
- My good friends in Sydney have been really hospitable, inviting us to barbies, parties, nights out, boat trips and more. It's been so much fun.
- We've made new friends too and have enjoyed sharing different adventures and experiences with them as well. I love the Aussie way of inviting everyone to everything. It's so inclusive, unlike our typically restricting invitations.

New Year's Eve in Sydney
New Year's Eve was a particular highlight. I am not a fan of that night ordinarily. It always seems a hassle to arrange and an ultimate disappointment. Not so this year.

About 14 of us (plus about 150 others!) took a ferry to Shark Island, a nature reserve just off Rose Bay in Sydney harbour. We set up camp on the banks of the island in full view of the harbour. Emma and I looked out over the view of the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge and the various boats partying up and down the water and we could not stop grinning. We all tucked into our picnic and BYO watching the spectacular fireworks, first at 9pm and then the all important ones at midnight. What a way to see in 2010!

So far 2010 has been pretty good. The weather's been a bit grey, but the sun has shone through from time to time. I went surfing in Manly. I managed to stand up, but I think I cracked a rib soon after! I've explored the Eastern beaches, from Coogee to Bondi. Although they can't quite compete with the sublime West Coast beaches, they sure beat Southend and Brighton! We stopped for a picnic in a cove near Tamarama which was just lovely. I've had delicious meals with friends old and new. Oh, and I got absolutely drenched crossing the Harbour Bridge as the heavens opened!

Sydney festival starts this weekend so that should be entertaining. I head off to Melbourne next week. How can it compete with Sydney? I'll let you know soon...

1 comment:

  1. Sydney is a great place to enjoy and have fun. There are lot of fun things to do in sydney. Sydney NYE fireworks in sydney harbour bridge is another attractions .

    Glad to know that you really enjoyed in Sydney.
    Happy New Year dear friend !!!

    Sydney Harbour Things To Do

    ReplyDelete